Monday 13 December 2010

Creamy Candy Cane Pie

There's no denying it now, Christmas is truly upon us. I have gone into my regular festive stupor, wanting to decorate everything in the house (including the cat) and bake stupid amounts of sugar cookies (I have restrained myself from doing this so far). I have placed an outrageously large online food order concidering there's only the two of us. We have lobsters for Christmas eve (no we're not rich, they're frozen ones from Lidl!) and for Christmas breakfast this year we are having smoked salmon benedict and the obligatory fried halloumi - don't ask me why but this is a tradition of mine that's been going on since I was small.

In my house at least, dessert after our giant Christmas dinner was never that much of an event, my mum's roast being delicious enough (and large enough) to eclipse anything that may be plated out later. Plus after eating said giant meal no-one really fancies cramming in anything as rich and stodgy as a Christmas pud. I think this dessert will change all that though, as the creamy peppermint filling is light and refreshing with the base giving a lovely chocolatey hit, and its pretty red and white swirls add the required wow factor with a sprinkle of disco golden glitter.

On top of all that it is also very easy to make as it uses marshmallows to set the cream centre rather than gelatine. The only thing you need to remember is that it needs to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving, so I would suggest making it the night before, or even earlier as it can be frozen in its tin, well wrapped in cling film for up to a month. Just remember to put it in the fridge to defrost the night before you want to serve it!

Creamy Candy Cane Pie / Peppermint Swirl Pie
Serves 8 - 10

Base Ingredients
2 packets (300g) of double chocolate oreos
50 g unsalted butter, softened

Filling Ingredients
200g white mini marshmallows
240ml milk
2 tsp peppermint extract
375ml double cream
few drops of red food colouring

Other Equipment
25cm loose bottomed flan / tart tin
gold edible glitter

Base Method
Empty your packets of biscuits into a food processor and whizz up until you have crumbs. Add the softened butter and whizz again a few times until it starts to come together. Pour into your tart tin and push down using your fingers so you have an even layer covering the base and sides. Put into the fridge for an hour or so to chill and harden.

Filling Method
Melt the marshmallows and milk over a medium low heat until the milk just comes to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth and silky looking. Pour into a heat-proof bowl and mix in the peppermint extract, then leave to cool.

Now whisk the double cream to soft peak stage, and then, while still whisking, slowly add the minty marshmallow mix. When combined, remove about 2 tablespoons of the mix to a seperate bowl and stir in a few drops of red food colouring until you get the desired shade of red.

Take your hardened cookie base from the fridge, pour in the white marshmallow cream and smooth over the top with an angled spatula or knife. Now use a teaspoon to drip over the red coloured mix, then take a cocktail stick and swirl it around in the mixture to give a marbled effect. You can now add a sprinkle of edible glitter if you so desire.

Place your finished pie into the fridge and leave to set for at least 4 hours before serving. It is best to cut it with a warm knife so you don't spoil the pretty pattern on the top.

Another bonus to this pud? You don't need anything to accompany it but a fork!


6 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely divine, I have just emailed the recipe to my work address so I can print it out and get making! I also may have to get some lobster from Lidl (Lidl's lobsters were talk of the office today) and some halloumi... oh how I love halloumi!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy I love you more everyday...This might just be my first attempt at making a pie. I love Oreos and I love peppermint. I have a family party on Saturday and I think I might make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacie you should definitely give it a go it's deliscious! Pretty sure I could eat the whole pie if I wanted to...! Plus the swirls look really impressive but are so easy to do!

    Rosie the Lidl lobsters are great, I've been told they have boxes of crayfish in at the minute too! Gonna try and get my hands on some of those babies soon!

    ReplyDelete