Tuesday 26 October 2010

Pumpkin Fest Part Two : Roasted Spicey Pumpkin Seeds

Roasted Spicey Pumpkin Seeds - The Inky Kitchen

I'm not a fan of waste and would like to think I'm pretty frugal. It makes me feel oddly proud when I can come up with a use for something that would usually be thrown away, especially in the kitchen. Not that eating pumpkin seeds is my idea in any way, but I hope that this easy little recipe will encourage you to look for little ways to cut back on waste and save yourself a little money too.

And if you don't want to make these and will be throwing your seeds away, how about sending them to me? I think Pete and I could eat a tonne of these yummy little devils... next time I'm going to try adding some brown sugar to make them beautifully sweet and spicy!

Roasted Spicey Pumpkin Seeds - The Inky Kitchen

Roasted Spicey Pumpkin Seeds
Makes roughly 1.5 cups / 150g

Ingredients
150g pumpkin seeds, cleaned and dried
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Method
Preheat oven to 180 C / 360 F.

Place pumpkin seeds in a bowl and sprinkle over all the spices. Toss together and then drizzle over the olive oil. Mix again until all the seeds are coated and then spread evenly over a baking sheet in one layer.

Roast in the preheted oven for 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally so they brown evenly. The seeds are ready when they have turned golden brown, be careful not to let them burn!

Remove from the oven and let cool slightly - I think they are best eaten still warm from the oven.

Store in an airtight container and consume within 1 week of roasting.


No comments:

Post a Comment